|The Forest Navel|
|How to Unlock||Retrieve 5 Ship Parts|
|Pikmin Discovered||Blue Pikmin|
|Ship Parts||9 (click)|
The Forest Navel is the third area in Pikmin. The entire area is underground and is accessed by a hole in a vast clearing of the forest. According to Captain Olimar, it looks like a belly button from high altitude, hence the name. This area is where Olimar meets Blue Pikmin for the first time. Nine pieces of Captain Olimar's ship, the S.S. Dolphin, can be found in the area, as well as many new enemies, like the Fiery Blowhog and the Shearwig. It is also the only area that was in Pikmin that was not remade in Pikmin 2, (Although some speculate that it maybe the Valley of Repose, though that topic is widely debated, and there is no concrete evidence of it being it, aside from a few theories and maybe 1 slight map similarity, but I digress) and in Pikmin 3 a Mission Mode DLC stage called the Forgotten Cove was based on The Forest Navel.
The Forest Navel is composed mostly of watery areas. In the center lies the landing site, which is surrounded by Pellet Posies and several places to obtain nectar. To the north (according to the map) is where Blue Pikmin are originally found. This part consists of several small pools of water. To the west is a narrow path covered with fire geysers. To the south is a sandy beach where Fiery Blowhogs can be found. There are also some bridges that need to be constructed so Olimar can get back to the ship. To the southwest lies a big lake with Wollywogs. To the southeast is a dark area with fire geysers and Common Glowcaps where the Puffstool can be found. And finally, to the east is the arena where Beady Long Legs is fought.
- Fiery Blowhog x5
- Breadbug x1
- Wollywog x4
- Puffstool x1
- Honeywisp x5
- Male Sheargrub x7
- Shearwig x11
- Iridescent Flint Beetle x2
- Beady Long Legs x1 (never respawns after killed)
- Pellet Posies x17 (the 5 blue posies near the Blue Onion do not replenish when torn down)
Challenge Mode Enemies
- #1 Ionium Jet
- Gravity Jumper
- Automatic Gear
- Space Float
- Anti-Dioxin Filter
- Analog Computer
- Omega Stabilizer
- Guard Satellite
There is a glitch that rarely appears in in this level. When the player defeats an enemy (usually the Wollywog), one or more Pikmin will vanish with no spirit shown. When this happens, sometimes the first Pikmin-counter gauge (on the bottom of the screen) will show more than the total number of Pikmin in the area. For example: 98/97/305. The Pikmin gauge should stay like that until sunset. This happens in other areas, but in The Forest Navel it is more common. This glitch can also occur when battling other enemies, and apparently even when there are no enemies around. This glitch can also happen in the Awakening Wood in Pikmin 2.
There is also a glitch that will cause Olimar to fall into the abyss where the Libra is located, which can only be done in Challenge Mode. There are three large pellets in the very back area where the Analog Computer is in the main game. However, the path back to the onions is too narrow for all three pellets to be carried back at once. If Olimar is standing between the pellets while they are being carried, he may get pushed off the edge, along with the pellet and possibly the Pikmin carrying it. Olimar will not die or respawn when he falls into the pit; in fact, he will not even fall at all! Instead he will "float" over the pit as if there was invisible ground. Olimar can walk very far into the darkness, but it may be hard to tell where he is going, because the cursor will not follow him.
A video of the glitch
If Olimar falls off the cliff by any other means, he will simply respawn after a few seconds back in the same spot he was before he fell. The only other known way to fall into the abyss is to lure the Shearwigs by the Automatic Gear all the way to the island where the Libra is, which will cause them to start chewing on the bridge.
There is another glitch involving the Libra where when the Yellow Pikmin carry it off the highest cliff and it falls to the ground, the Pikmin may fall off (as if an enemy flings them off), and the Libra may shoot off the ledge, possibly with Pikmin still hanging on. However, the Libra should come back with any Pikmin hanging on still there, like a boomerang. It is unknown what causes the glitch, but it should not cause any harm.
Another glitch also occurs when Olimar builds a bridge near base and the stone wall, if any Pikmin are under the bridge when the bridge is completed, all of the Pikmin under the bridge will perish, this glitch was not fixed in the New Play Control! version of Pikmin and it is not known why this occurs, even though you can walk under the bridge after it's completed.
Most Pikmin fans are familiar with the fact that in Pikmin and Pikmin 2 the areas in the first game are transformed into newer, remixed counterparts. And while most of the areas in Pikmin make a return in Pikmin 2, one seemingly is absent, the Forest Navel. Or is it? There's a continuing debate that has never been resolved fully, if the Forest Navel is the Valley of Repose, the winter area of Pikmin 2, While some make arguments over and over again pointing out similarities that opposing side says aren't there. Many more similarities and differences can be found than what is usually discussed. Provided are some key components of this debate. Please look through and decide for yourselves.
Since I'm not sure how that image came out, and just for convenience I will bullet the points in this image.
- First a note that the image of the Forest Navel is mirrored vertically, this is due to the mirrored version is best compared to the Valley Of Repose like this.
- The manhole where one finds the Utter Scrap and the bulborbs is somewhere around where one would fight the Puffstool in Pikmin
- The watery area where one must use Blue Pikmin to build a bridge for the rest of the Pikmin in the Valley of Repose is roughly in the same area where the lake in the top right of the Forest Navel that has the bottles, Wollywogs, and the Anti-Dioxin Filter. One could speculate that it's been corroded enough to have made divots and land forms in it.
- The two little bumps at the eastern end of the Valley of Repose where the Frontier Cavern is. This could be a some of the ridges that are in the Forest Navel, I.E. where the Blue Onion is found in Pikmin.
- Although a bit far fetched, another revived area is the Emergence Cave and it's surrounding area, could be where the Gravity Jumper and the bomb rocks are found in the Forest Navel. Yet this is highly unlikely due to geographical differences as it's too low to the rest of the map and also shifted a bit off from the area.
- Another potential area revival is where one finds the Libra in Pikmin, if the little island is slightly shifted more closely to the main land form, it could be a reasonable match to the corresponding area of the Valley of Repose. But once again, this is unlikely due to the pure unlikeliness of the entire concept.
- This theory has no explanation for the creation of the landing area of the Valley of Repose in Pikmin 2, only that it's an entirely new area of land in the game.
- Also, the area where one finds the Fiery Bulblax in Pikmin 2 has striking similarities to the boss arena of Beady Long Legs in Pikmin.
- There is a seemingly useless geyser in the Forest Navel near the Bomb Rock location by the Gravity Jumper. If you have your Pikmin destroy it and Olimar uses it, he will launch up far into the air and land in the water. This has no relevence to getting any parts, nor does it aid Olimar in any way. This could possibly be an easter egg.
- The best possible score in Challenge Mode is 482.
- The map of The Forest Navel very vaguely resembles a Bulborb or Bulbear.
- All ship parts whose names begin with A are in the Forest Navel.
- One of the Pikmin 3 DLC maps from Round 3, the Forgotten Cove, is a retextured version of the Forest Navel.
|The Impact Site | The Forest of Hope | The Forest Navel | The Distant Spring | The Final Trial|
|Valley of Repose | Awakening Wood | Perplexing Pool | Wistful Wild|
|Tropical Wilds | Garden of Hope | Distant Tundra | Twilight River | Formidable Oak|