|Armored Cannon Beetle|
|Appears in|| Pikmin|
|Prima "Technical Name"||Greater Lithopod|
|Scientific name||Granitus chukkulinae|
The Forest of Hope
The Distant Spring
|Challenge Mode levels||None|
The Armored Cannon Beetle (フタクチドックリ) is the adult stage of the Armored Cannon Beetle Larva. The beetle is first discovered during Olimar's first visit to the Pikmin Planet and is seen again in Pikmin 2 and in Pikmin 3, although only the larval stage is present in those games. It is a huge, black, shiny beetle with a thick, rounded shell of armor, and a blowhole above its head. It attacks by inhaling through this blowhole and subsequently firing a rolling rock from its mouth that travels in a straight path, which crushes any small creature in its path.
This enemy is only found in The Forest of Hope, where one is guarding the Radiation Canopy, and The Distant Spring, where one has ingested the Bowsprit. As a side-note, Olimar can destroy the rocks by punching them; however, this does not work with the rock-producing Lithopods in Pikmin 2.
"This creature spits out massive rocks and boasts an impenetrable shell that repels all Pikmin attacks. Just before spitting out a boulder, it sucks in large breaths of air... Perhaps its air hole will provide a clue to it's weakness."
"This member of the lithopod family migrated to the area during a global climate shift in the atmosphere within the last century. The continental breed of this beast, known as the Greater Lithopod, had the abillity to compress inhaled air in a bladder and use the pressure to expel partially digested fragments of stone. This migrant lithopod has developed a stronger carapace then its relatives."
"This migrant lithopod has developed a stronger carapace than its relatives."
The only way one can be defeated is by clogging the blowhole during air intake (Pikmin are impervious to harm when inhaled). This causes the beetle's internal temperature to rise dramatically, and in response the beetle will expose its burning abdomen underneath the armor to vent. The exposed abdomen leaves the beetle vulnerable to attack. However, the beetle will quickly unclog its blowhole, shield its backside, and continue its attack after excess heat has been drained. However, if Olimar brings around 30-50 Red Pikmin and throws quickly, he can have the Armored Cannon Beetle kill it on the first or second try. After closing its back up, your Pikmin are knocked down and the Armored Cannon Beetle shoots a boulder out of its nose that rolls until it hits a wall. Make sure you whistle your Pikmin quickly or they will be crushed. Despite the heat radiating from its inner abdomen, you do not need Red Pikmin to attack it.
- The Armored Cannon Beetle Larva is the baby stage of the Armored Cannon Beetle. This was confirmed later in Pikmin 2 by Nintendo.
- They are the heaviest enemy to carry in the series so far, with a weight of 30.
- This enemy is nowhere to be seen in Pikmin 2 or Pikmin 3.
- Using an Action Replay to access a model test menu in Pikmin, the Armored Cannon Beetle's code name is "beatle".
- The Armored Cannon Beetle's corpse and the Pearly Clamclamp's pearl tie for second most seed's worth with 50, only being beaten by the Smoky Progg's pearl, which has 100.
- It is the only boss in story mode whose body stays intact after death and can also be harvested by an Onion in Pikmin.